Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Importance of Objectivity

It occurred to me that I have been pretty hard on President Bush in my last couple posts. Upon reflection, I do not regret anything I have said, nor do I think any of it is incorrect.

That being said, we live in a world in which praise or criticism of certain political figures often draws an immediate emotional response – often to the point that supporting arguments and facts behind the opinion are not seriously considered. The author is labeled a conservative or a liberal, and the reader/listener accepts or discounts what is written/said.

Above all else, it is my intention to remain objective and as fair as possible when posting to this site. I think that is the best way to learn, to communicate persuasively, and to maintain an environment that encourages readers to submit comments that will push my thinking.

This is not to say that I will not be noticeably emotional at times when I write. One can certainly be objective and/or fact-based when communicating about a subject they care passionately about – though it is admittedly more difficult most of the time.

Objectivity is a general rule that needs to be more broadly embraced by people directly involved in or otherwise closely following politics. I have seen too many people, some of them with absolutely brilliant intellects, totally unable (not just unwilling) to seriously evaluate the statements made by the President of the United States. I remember this in the 1990’s, before and after the impeachment, and I certainly see it almost daily today.

People across the political spectrum are guilty of this offense, and there is no doubt that many politicians give these people good cause to disregard many of their statements. Nevertheless, such conduct is intolerable. There is too much at stake to tune out our leaders, or to disagree by default.

Of course, genuine disagreement on policy goals, methods and even core values is inevitable. Intelligent debate arising from such disagreement is absolutely essential for the continued prosperity and, indeed, the fundamental security of the country. This is because no party or person has a monopoly on good ideas across all policy issues.

If you do not believe that, you should re-read this post several times – it is written exclusively for you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is because no party or person has a monopoly on good ideas across all policy issues.

A distinct but related question: is it possible for all of a political party's ideas to be bad? :)