Monday, December 1, 2008

Lou Gerstner for Secretary of Education

Okay - so I'm not sure that the former IBM CEO is the best choice for the job, but he published an excellent essay on reforming the American public education system today in the Wall Street Journal. I recommend it to all of you that are passionate about education reform.

At the very least, I hope the President-Elect nominates someone with a similar vision and a comparable record of effective leadership.

The subtitle of Gerstner's essay calls for "abolishing local school districts" and "adopting national standards" - but his strategy is significantly more comprehensive. I guess I would need to dwell on it a while longer before I decided it the entire plan was the best course of action, but it certainly seems like the type of bold action we need to break the pattern of massive spending and limited results.

You can read the essay here (if you missed the link above).

No comments: